Wednesday, July 9, 2014

stir it up, little darling, stir it up


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3UqvWk8-uw - Thanks Bob and youtube

My head was spinning yesterday for a good part of the day.  I realized it this morning, that he stirred up a LOT of emotions I have been carrying around and since last year.  I suppose part of this was motivating me to push myself harder this year but that isn't always the best way to go about things.

For the past few weeks I was already starting to feel the pre-race butterflies and getting way to amped up this early in the game.  I was starting to feel aches and pains when I really shouldn't be.  I was pushing way too hard at the wrong times, focusing too much on the wrong things and not truly listening to the advice I was given.  I heard them, but I wasn't listening.

I had an appointment yesterday morning and after the treatment he sat down and we talked a lot about what's going on my head right now and what I need to do to make sure I prepare properly.  I have been putting so much pressure on myself for the past year for fear of history repeating itself. I have been driving myself and pushing myself too hard for too long and by doing this, getting myself worked up.   It's time I calm down, settle down and just relax, breath and believe.

So on that note, I took the day off from training yesterday, went and had myself some retail therapy followed by some wine therapy with a great friend.  It was just what I needed when I needed it.  I started making a list of goals for the race this year too, that was my homework. Some are time related and some aren't and I think for me, both are important.  This year is about so much more than just finishing. It's about taking care of unfinished business, getting my medal, getting my title, finisher shirt and hat and let's not forget that tat!  But with all this in mind, it doesn't mean I need to get worked up about it now, not yet, not until it's time.

Every year is going to be different with different lessons.  For now I will enjoy the journey for what it is, what is is for me this year, for this race.  


On the path to the Ironman, the journey is different for everyone. 








No comments:

Post a Comment